About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Sep 10, 2011

Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken

Ah, how I wish I was on a plane to Tuscany... there would be delightful food, my friend to meet up with, beautiful countryside... but I am stuck here. However, I can enjoy a dish that makes me feel as if I was travelling to Tuscany. So for today, here is the recipe for...


Slow cooker Tuscan Chicken


Ingredients:

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (make sure they are thawed and not frozen!) 
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 chopped onion
  •  ½ red bell pepper, diced
  • ½ green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 can (8oz or 220g) black beans, drained
  •  2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 can of low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
  •  ½ tsp. dried oregano
  •  3 - 6 cloves garlic, diced (depends on how much you like) **I used the food processor to chop my garlic... just peel and put it in, pulse till chopped!**
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions:
  1.  Put the onion, peppers, and beans in the slow cooker.
  2.  Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and beans.
  3. In a bowl, stir together the olive oil, tomatoes, broth, vinegar, oregano, garlic, a bit of salt and pepper.
  4. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
  5. Put the lid on the slow cooker and set it to low.
  6. Let it cook for 6 to 7 hours.
  7. Serve over rice or pasta and enjoy! 
Servings: 4

I found the original recipe here, but I tweaked it a bit. This recipe is just fantastic! The smell while it was cooking was absolutely amazing! This dish is simple, and it has fabulous favor. I served this dish over rice and it was very filling. Definitely a recipe that I would make again!

“A cook she certainly was, in the very bone and centre of her soul. Not a chicken or turkey or duck in the bary-yard but looked grave when they saw her approaching, and seemed evidently to be reflecting on their latter end; and certain it was that she was always meditating on trussing, stuffing and roasting, to a degree that was calculated to inspire terror in any reflecting fowl living.”
A description of Aunt Chloe in 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1852)

 As always...

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment