As you have probably guessed, today's recipe is lasagna. If you are looking for an oven lasagna, please look at lasagna recipe or veggie lasagna . The links will take you directly to my previous posts about my delicious oven lasagna. However, I made a microwave lasagna. Sound interesting? I hope so!
- 4 cups homemade or purchased marinara sauce (Italian Garden Sauce for me)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (Optional)
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped (I used a few tsps. of dried basil)
- 1 sandwich baggie full of washed spinach (I used less than the recipe itself called for, and my Spinach was mixed with Arugula)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced (or you could use some garlic powder... the garlic salt was a bit much)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 8 oz box of no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (8 oz)
- 1 egg ... could be left out... The store ran out of the eggs I use! :-(
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar or jack cheese (I only used about a cup)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I got the big block of mozzarella and used 3/4 of it)
- In a large bowl, stir together marinara sauce, oregano, and garlic.
- Pour about a third of the sauce mixture evenly into a 7- by 11-inch microwave-safe baking dish (or a large glass bowl). Stir water into remaining sauce; set aside. (I recommend using the water to get out the remainder of the sauce from the jar.)
- In a food processor, combine the washed spinach and basil. Process until everything is finely chopped. Add in the ricotta cheese and 1 egg, and process again until the cheese, egg, spinach, and basil are all fully mixed. (If you do not have a food processor, rip the spinach and basil and mix with the ricotta cheese. Add in the egg and make sure it is all mixed well.)
- Rinse uncooked lasagna noodles with cold water. Then arrange a third of the uncooked noodles in a single layer atop sauce in baking dish.
- Spread a thin layer of the spinach/cheese mixture atop the uncooked noodles, and then add a layer of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese (about a third of each cheese).
- Next, pour a third of the remaining sauce to make the next layer. Add another layer of lasagna noodles on top, and repeat with another layer of spinach/ricotta cheese, followed by cheddar and mozzarella.
- Finally, repeat with one more layer of sauce, lasagna, ricotta/spinach, and cheddar/mozzarella.
- Cover and microwave on high heat for 25 minutes, giving dish a half-turn after 12 minutes. Remove from the microwave at this point and let the lasagna stand, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Scoop out a portion, serve, and enjoy!
As I noted in the ingredients list, I did adjust a few things, leave a few things out, and adjusted measurements sometimes. This recipe is based off of spinach lasagna recipe. I couldn't help but sample a bit after it was covered for 10 minutes. Super tasty! It was cheesy and was spiced well. I'll tell ya, I absolutely hate flat tasting lasagna. I had lasagna twice in Scotland and I was disappointed both times. Just a tip... never EVER use nacho meat and nacho cheese sauce in lasagna. So nasty! Anyway, please feel free to leave a comment if you'd like to and definitely let me know about the whole Youtube video of a recipe every 2 weeks- every month. I think it could be interesting...