I kind of cheated with these cupcakes because I didn't want to make my own vanilla cake. So, I pulled a Pintester moment and used a boxed cake mix. I learned an important lesson when I made these... you need about 1/3 of green and 2/3 of blue batter. I had too much green and a few of my earth cupcakes turned out like martian planets. I will keep that in mind the next time I make these and you might want to learn from my mistake. Another thing I did differently is that I didn't use a heart cookie cutter to take out a portion of the cupcake to fill in a heart of frosting. I attempted to frost a heart and failed, so they had white frosting and some were decorated with leftover gel decorating stuff and others just got some sprinkles slapped on them. I only managed to get 23 cupcakes out my boxed mix, but it is supposed to give you 24. I might have put too much batter in some, but they turned out just fine. I hope you get adventurous and try this!
Earth Cupcakes (inspired by a Pinterest photo)
- blue and green food coloring or coloring gel
- vanilla cake mix (make your favorite kind from scratch or use a boxed mix)
- frosting (canned, homemade, whatever)
- decorations (sprinkles, fondant, different color frosting, gel decorators, etc.)
- muffin paper cups/foil cups/ silicone
- Preheat your oven to the temperature specified for your cake recipe.
- Follow the recipe or instructions for your vanilla cake mix to make the batter.
- Dye 2/3 of your batter blue and 1/3 of your batter green.
- Line your muffin tin with muffin cups.
- Add a few teaspoons of blue batter to each muffin cup.
- Alternate spoonfuls of blue and green until the muffin cups are 1/2 - 2/3 full.
- Bake for the appropriate time. (My box mix took about 20 minutes or so)
- Let the cupcakes cool.
- Frost and decorate as you wish.
Love it? Hate it? Want to make it? Let me know what you think with a comment below!
P.S. If you love it, or have made it, or have any suggestions then feel free to leave me a comment! I love hearing input from my readers and would LOVE to hear from YOU! :)