About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Oct 28, 2011

A wee trip to Ireland: Irish Soda Bread

My throat has been randomly hurting today and I have a nasty cough... I think it has to deal with my sinuses and the weather being so beserk lately. History was alright today, but it is definitely feeling like fall. Cold. I need to get out this weekend and take some pictures of the beautiful trees we have and I want to get more pics of the creepy campus squirrels. I had a nice 4.5 hour nap today, and that helped me feel a wee bit better. I haven't eaten too much today, which I suppose is a good thing, but I have been drinking water as if it was the last water I will ever have. Hopefully this icky feeling will be gone by tomorrow, or I might not be able to go to the football game. Blah.

Anyway, today I am providing a recipe that will partner with my post for tomorrow. I use this bread as a sort of "topping" but it can also be sliced and eaten that way. I have had a few slices with butter and mmmm, it is good. I was awful when this came out of the oven, because I kept taking small chunks and munching on them. I let my picky-eater brother try it and he even enjoyed it! Yea! This recipe is easy (especially for bread), so I hope you all enjoy!

Irish Soda Bread (from Allrecipes)

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder (I promise, this is the correct measurement. I was skeptical, but the bread is awesome!)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup margarine, softened
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg
For brushing over the top:
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
Instructions: 
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). 
  2. Lightly grease a large baking sheet, or put a piece of parment paper on a baking sheet.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and margerine. 
  4. Stir in the cup of buttermilk and the egg.
  5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. 
  6. Form dough into a round and place onto the prepared baking sheet. 
  7. In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and the 1/4 cup of buttermilk. Brush this mixture onto the loaf.
  8. Cut an X into the top of the bread with a sharp knife.
  9. Bake for 35- 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter and buttermilk mixture while it bakes if you wish. 
  10. Serve and enjoy!
Yield:  20 servings
Time: A little over an hour.

As you can see, this recipe isn't that difficult. There isn't a rising time, which is fantastic! I love making bread, but it is nice to have a recipe that doesn't take 4 hours between rising and cooking. I hope you all get a chance to try this!

As always...

Bon appétit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment