About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Oct 7, 2011

Baked Beans

I cut my finger on a can lid for the first time today. :( Not fun... Guess there is a first time for everything though. Other than that cut, today's been a decent day. It is nice knowing that I did a lot of my dishes today and that I don't have any homework that is due tomorrow, woo! My "baked beans" recipe came from this. I don't like lima beans and I just thought it was weird to put green beans in with other beans, so I left those out. I skipped the bacon, used dried onion instead of fresh, and used a can of black beans, a can of dark red kidney beans, and a can of baked beans. I'd say that this reminds me a lot of my mom's baked beans that she makes at home, minus the bacon.

Looks so yummy!
Baked Beans (or 3-bean "salad")

Ingredients:
Doesn't look as appetizing, but I was trying to show how much food the recipe made.
  • about a 20 oz can of baked beans, undrained (I don't remember exactly what mine was.)
  • 15 oz can of dark red kidney beans, undrained
  • 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup chopped onion (or a couple tsp. of dried onion, to taste. I probably used at least 3 tsp.)
  • 1 Tbsp. of olive oil
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (for less sweet beans, use a bit less)
  • 10 strips of crispy bacon (optional)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions:
See, it makes lots!
  1. If using a chopped onion, put the olive oil in a bowl with the onion and microwave (or use a pan on the stovetop) on high for 2 - 3 minutes. If using dried onion, then just move to step 2.
  2. Combine the undrained kidney beans, baked beans, and drained + rinsed black beans. Add the onion, bacon, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and olive oil (if you use dried onion, still add the olive oil).
  3. Microwave on High until heated through (should be about 8 - 15 minutes). You could also use a pot on the stovetop or a baking pan in the oven, whatever floats your boat.
  4. Scoop out a helping and enjoy!


I hope you all are reminded of the times when baked beans were made for you. This recipe is a definite keeper and I have oodles of leftovers! As always...

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment