About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Oct 29, 2011

A cold day and Corn Chowder, mmm

Today was a cold day. My heater has decided to spazz and either is so hot that you have to open a window, or not hot enough. I have decided to leave if off for a while and just enjoy the air from outside through my open window. Ah. Our football team won the football game today, so that was cool. Always more fun to be on the winning side. Another stroke of luck is that I am sorta feeling better, yea! My sleep schedule is still a bit batty, but that's nothing worse than usual. Hmmm... I finally get to go grocery shopping after 3 weeks! I went home last weekend, so I haven't had time to get all my fresh stuff for my microwave cooking fun, haha.  But yea, that's what is up with me. I hope you all had a lovely Saturday! :D (maybe even with the cold weather)

Alrighty, so today I have a recipe that is simple and can be tweaked to your taste. The coolest part of this recipe? It has optional bacon! I am sure many of you out there are ready for this recipe now!

Corny Ramen Chowder  (from Taste of Home: Simple and Delicious cookbook)


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 package (3 oz.) chicken ramen noodles (I used creamy chicken just because I had them on hand.)
  • 1 can (15.25 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can (14.75 oz) cream-style corn
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. dried minced onion
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 Tbsp. crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley (optional)
Instructions: (this recipe can be made on the stovetop or in the microwave)

  1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Break noodles in large pieces and add the noodles and seasoning packet to the water. (If using a microwave, put the noodles and water in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for 3 - 5 minutes, till noodles are tender. Then add the seasoning packet and microwave one more minute.)
  2. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until noodles are tender.
  3. Stir in the corn, cream-style corn, milk, and onion. Heat through.
  4. Stir in the cheese, bacon and parsley until blended.
Yield: 4 servings
Time: about 15 minutes (less if using the microwave)

So, it's a simple recipe. Now, remember how yesterday I said that I used my Irish Soda Bread as a topping? Well, I used it over this chowder. Soooooooo yummy! However, I think that I will add some potatoes the next time I make this chowder. I just felt like potatoes were missing... don't ask me why. Definitely recommend trying it though! I hope you all enjoy this recipe and as always...

Bon appétit! 




No comments:

Post a Comment