- 1 TBSP Olive oil, plus extra for the pan
- 1 - 2 lbs of ground beef or turkey (depends how meaty you like it)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic (If you want to add more or less, you can. I just like it really garlic-y!), minced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (You could also use a can or two cans of diced tomatoes)
- 1 (8 oz.) jar/can of tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste
- 1 (8 oz) box of no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 3 tsp. freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 (8 oz) bag of shredded Mozzarella
- 1 (8 oz) bag of shredded Cheddar
- 1 - 2 cups of chopped spinach
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- In a large saute pan, over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp Olive oil and saute meat, garlic, and onion. Cook till the meat is brown, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Drain the pan of fat (greasy liquid) and add chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, shredded carrots and tomato paste.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and then add in the cottage cheese, Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper, and spinach.
- Spread a little of the meat sauce in the bottom of the pan and start laying your noodles, making sure they overlap by 1/2 inch.
- Spread half the egg/cheese mix on top and then sprinkle on half of the Cheddar and half of the mozzarella.
- Layer more noodles on top and then put on the meat sauce and cheese mixture until it is all gone.
- Sprinkle leftover cheese and Parmesan on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in the center of the oven until the sauce is bubbling around the edges.
- Let cool 10 minutes and then enjoy!
Time: 1 hr 30 minutes
Yield: about 12 servings (a little less if you like larger squares of lasagna)
I know that this recipe seems scary because of the ingredient list and the amount of steps, but it really isn't bad. This lasagna is a family favorite and it is easy to freeze for later meals! To put it simply, you put in all the time now and you will have at least 3 or so meals! Yum! I hope you all enjoy and as always...