1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 and 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 TBSP well-shaken buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter 2 large baking sheets (or use parchment paper).
- Whisk together flour, zest, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and beat in, then beat in vanilla. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in batches at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until smooth.
- Drop level tablespoons of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are puffed and edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes per batch. Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute, then transfer cookies to racks.
- Whisk together all glaze ingredients and brush onto tops of warm cookies.
- Let stand until cookies are completely cooled and glaze is set.
Yield: 5 1/2 dozen cookies
Time: About 1.5 hours
* I added walnuts on top of mine for garnish
**If you do not want to make the glaze, then feel free to frost with a pre-made frosting or some other sort of frosting. :)