About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Aug 30, 2011

Blueberry Almond Bread

So, for our dorm we lack a kitchen which makes me quite sad. I will do my best to post recipes that still taste good, yet I can experiment with them in the microwave/fridge/freezer. Haha. Well, here is a recipe that still requires an oven. I don't think there was much "vanilla" taste to it, so I am not going to put that in the title.

Blueberry Almond Bread

Ingredients:


  • 1 cup blueberries, washed and dried
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds (plus a few more to sprinkle on top)
  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (plus ¼ cup to coat berries and nuts)
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
                                                                         ** note: this is the bread turned upside down from the pan**
Instructions:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 325°. Grease a 8.5” x 4.5” loaf pan.
  2. Toss the berries and almonds with 1/4 cup of flour to keep them from sinking in the batter.
  3. In a large bowl, combine 1 ½ cups of flour, oats, baking powder and salt. 
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. 
  5. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined. Fold in the almonds and blueberries.
  6. Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 55 - 65 minutes, rotating the pan partway through. Allow bread to cool completely before slicing.
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

I got this recipe from here. I enjoyed the bread, even though I used quick cooking oats... I think it messed up the texture a bit. I also chopped my own almonds instead of buying slivered almonds. I made two loaves, one with blueberries and then one with mixed berries. 
This is flavorful and can even have a simple glaze added to it, like this vanilla glazehoney glaze, or lemon glaze. The glaze will make this bread turn into a lovely dessert instead of a bread. I hope you all enjoy and as always... 


Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment