Blueberry Almond Bread
- 1 cup blueberries, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (plus a few more to sprinkle on top)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (plus ¼ cup to coat berries and nuts)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°. Grease a 8.5” x 4.5” loaf pan.
- Toss the berries and almonds with 1/4 cup of flour to keep them from sinking in the batter.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 ½ cups of flour, oats, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined. Fold in the almonds and blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 55 - 65 minutes, rotating the pan partway through. Allow bread to cool completely before slicing.
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
I got this recipe from here. I enjoyed the bread, even though I used quick cooking oats... I think it messed up the texture a bit. I also chopped my own almonds instead of buying slivered almonds. I made two loaves, one with blueberries and then one with mixed berries.
This is flavorful and can even have a simple glaze added to it, like this vanilla glaze, honey glaze, or lemon glaze. The glaze will make this bread turn into a lovely dessert instead of a bread. I hope you all enjoy and as always...