About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Jan 31, 2012

Shortbread on Tuesday

Hello readers! It is amazing how fast time flies, at least sometimes. This week has made me realize that possibilities are something worth taking a chance for. I was made the president of a group on campus and so far it is utter chaos. The information isn't all in one place, which frustrates me the most. I like organized data, lists, and important info. Without that, I feel frazzled. I also found out another thing about myself... I can be too quiet for people's taste sometimes. I try to think of what to say and then it will sound different than I intended and ugh.... it makes a mess. I just wish I could come with a manual to pass out to anyone who knows me. That would prevent some problems from happening. It would be kinda funny though... don't you think? Someone passing out instruction manuals. Not like people always read those anyway... A third thing I have learned about myself this week... I really don't see any potential in what I look like. I feel like something will always need fixing. I need to fix that attitude of mine and fast. Otherwise I have a feeling I am going to be one miserable cat lady.

Anyway, self discovery aside... the events since last blog aren't too thrilling. However, I somehow lost my phone in the classroom. I don't understand how I really did it, because we searched the entire room and didn't find it, but my phone pulled a magic act and is gone. Kinda sucks. So, I am looking into new phones. Been a bit of an adventure. That mixed with classes has kept my mind busy. UPDATE: My phone was found! Joy joy joy! :)

Refrigerator Shortbread Cookies (from Tastebook)

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, room temperature 
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour), plus more for rolling out the dough
Mix in possibilities:
  • 1/3 cup dried cherries or other dried fruit 
  • grated zest of 2 lemons/limes 
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, pecans, or peanuts
  • 1/2 cup mini-butterscotch or other flavored chips
Instructions:
  1. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy. If working with an electric mixer, start on low and                         then go up to medium speed.
  2. Reduce the electric mixer to low and slowly add the flour. 
  3. Mix until a dough forms. Stir in any mix ins.
  4. Lightly flour a flat surface. Take your dough and roll it into a log about 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide. 
  5. Wrap the log tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm (about 1 hour) or place in the freezer. You can refrigerate this for up to 4 days or freeze up to 3 months.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
  7. Unwrap the log and slice into 1/4 inch slices. If the log is frozen, make sure to let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before slicing)
  8. Lightly grease your cookie sheet or cover with parchment paper. 
  9. Place slices 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are golden. 
  10. Cool cookies and then enjoy, or store in an air tight container. 
This recipe may seem long, but it isn't difficult. The first half is all about preparing the dough to chill, while the rest is for baking. I personally enjoyed being able to make a dough and have it ready for the next day. It was especially awesome during the chaos of Christmas baking. I hope you all enjoy!

Love it? Hate it? Want to make it? Let me know what you think with a comment below!

As always...
Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment