About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Jan 6, 2012

Snowball cookies

Hola readers! Can you believe it is Thursday already? I sure can't! >.< It seems like the time at the end of my break just whooshes by! I have to drive back on Sunday. Haven't quite determined whether I will leave late morning or early afternoon yet. The bookstore closes at 5, but I might just wait till Monday to pick up my books. Decisions, decisions... I still find it weird that this is my last semester of college... like really weird. What if the real world doesn't like me? I mean, I am making a few plans, but nothing is set in stone. I am just crossing my fingers and hoping that something works out. Life tends to throw curve balls, so we shall see what happens! Anyway, since I stayed up till 8 am, I slept till 3 pm. Blah. My messed up sleep schedule needs fixing! Currently I am snacking on dark chocolate M&Ms and am hoping that my mom enjoyed seeing Twilight by herself, because I politely declined. Didn't really do much... just watched Wizards of Waverly Place for a few hours. Is it weird that I am looking forward to the big episode at 8 pm? Perhaps it just reveals how much I love disney. Nerd!

The recipe that I have for today is from one of the cookie books that my mom has used for a long while. She's had it so long (perhaps it was passed on to her?) that the pages are falling out. It's difficult to even find recipes because the index is in a different chunk than the rest of the stuff. Needless to say, the poor book should really just have the recipes ripped out of it that she wants. The recipe for today has nuts in it. The cookies are called snowballs because they kind of look like snowballs. Even more so once you cover them in powdered sugar!

Nutty Snowballs


Ingredients:

  • 6 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1.5 sticks of butter/margarine, softened
  • 2 Tbsp. ice water (very cold water works)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup of nuts, chopped well
  • 2-3 cups of powdered sugar
Instructions:

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 300 F or 150 C. 
  2. Cream butter and sugar.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients (add the nuts last!) and mix to form a dough. This might be a bit stiff. 
  4. Prepare your cookie sheets by greasing them (with butter or cooking spray) or lining them with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
  5. Shape into bite size balls and place on your cookie sheets.
  6. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. They are ready when the bottoms are golden brown. 
  7. Let cool down a bit. While still warm, roll in powdered sugar. 
  8. Store in an airtight container or enjoy right then!
Love it? Hate it? Want to try it? Let me know with a comment below!

As always...


Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment