About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Nov 4, 2011

A date with scones

So, I promised everyone a blog today and I will write it, because I don't like to go back on my promises. However, I feel like my digestive system has ripped a hole through my body and I feel horrid. My stomach keeps feeling nauseous, my head aches, and I just overall feel ill. Yuck. I haven't felt like this in a long time. No fun. :(

On a positive note, I survived both of my presentations, my quiz, and turning in my 6 journals. I am soooooo happy that tomorrow is Friday, but I am not excited for my lecture exam in History. I am crossing my fingers that I will feel better, otherwise I will still have to go while ill (no excused absences without a note, and our clinic on campus doesn't give notes...). I don't think I will need to go to the clinic, but if the need arises, there is that option for me. Blahhhhh, school. I've been having a bit of a career crisis lately. I started looking at teaching programs and thought, oh, I could do that. At the same time, I have been looking at jobs I could get with the degree that I have. Sadly, I find many of those jobs are "boring." I know that work probably will never be fun but I just like to have that possible element to keep me motivated. I guess it just proves my point that I should really start my own business and be my own boss. We shall see what path I am taken on though.

Anyway, the recipe that I want to share today is a scones recipe. I'll be honest, these scones are a bit sweeter than the real scones that I had in the UK, but they are tasty still. These are fabulous with some butter, "clotted cream", and jam. Mmmmm. I was very happy to eat them all. This recipe made about 26 round scones, with the last two being much larger than the others.

Scones (from Donna at All Recipes- click to be taken to her recipe)

Haha, do you see the camera reflection?
Ingredients:

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar (I think next time I will reduce this to 1/4 cup)
  • 5 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (I only added about 1/4 tsp.)
  • 3/4 cup butter (I tried to use another recipe and butter wasn't in the ingredients, so I used butter flavored Crisco instead.)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk (I used buttermilk instead.)
For brushing:
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk or so
Instructions:
Have I mentioned that my mom has a habit of drinking lots of Diet Coke?
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). 
  2. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or cover a few baking sheets with parchment paper. 
  3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter. If you are using Crisco, just add it in and mix with the other ingredients. 
  4. Mix the egg and milk in a small bowl and stir into the flour mixture until moistened. (I took the route of less dishes and just added the milk and egg right into the flour mix.)
  5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Make sure that your hands are floured before kneading!
  6. Roll the dough out into about a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges, or cut with a floured cookie cutter, like I did. I used a round cookie cutter just because I wanted to. There isn't much of a limit about what shape you want your scones to be.
  7. Place your cut scones onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 - 18 minutes in the oven, or until golden brown. 
  8. Slather some butter and jam onto your scone and enjoy!
Tomorrow I will write up the "clotted cream" recipe. It isn't really clotted cream, but it still tastes delicious with butter and jam on your scones. Mmmm. This recipe took me back to when I was on my tour of Britain with my parents. It was almost a homely feeling biting into a scone with "clotted cream", butter, and jam/jelly. I felt very British and sophisticated, haha. I hope you all get the chance to try this recipe out and as always...

Bon appétit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment