About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Nov 6, 2011

Simple dish Sunday: Egg fried rice roll up

I think today I can declare myself 100% better. I haven't felt awful all day, which is good. I think that is partly because of how much rest I had this weekend. It was great to have that time to rest. I am just glad that I feel better and feel like myself again. Today I woke up late, again, and have been watching an old episode of the Next Iron Chef. It's awesome! I also actually cooked something today, which made me happy. I think writing this blog and cooking/baking really bring some focus into my life and some peace. It's something that lets me share my passion, while not going too far out on the limb. I know that I will be tested later on my path, but I also know that this is building the foundation that is fundamental to my success and my dreams.

I want to take just a brief moment and thank all of my readers. You all really can't grasp how exciting it is for me when I see that I have another person subscribed to my blog. It makes me smile and brightens my day. Perhaps that is a bit crazy, but I hope that I will continue to gather readers with the same passion and perhaps gain feedback for these delicious recipes and food ideas. Once again, thank you. I love you all!

However, the purpose of this blog is for showcasing food and recipes, so let's move on, shall we? The recipe for today is something that takes pantry staples and mixes them all together. This dish is open to bolder flavors, different veggies, and different ways of preparation. I, unfortunately, had to use the microwave. The nice thing about the microwave cooking method is that my food was ready to go in under 10 minutes, especially since I started thinking about this dish last night.

Egg Fried Rice in a tortilla (recipe adapted from BBC Good Food)

Ingredients:

  • 1 tortilla
  • 1 egg or an equal amount of egg substitute/liquid eggs (I used a bit too much, oops)
  • A handful or two of frozen, canned, or fresh vegetables, assorted and without sauce (I had carrots, corn, peas, and green beans)
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • About 1 Tbsp. of Soy sauce (I used less because I dislike soy sauce)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 an onion, diced  or 2 spring onions, diced (optional)
  • 1 cup of cooked rice (I used brown rice)
Instructions:

  1. Melt the butter in your pan or microwaveable bowl. 
  2. Add the eggs and the vegetables. Cook or microwave until the eggs are scrambled and cooked well.
  3. Add the soy sauce, onion, and rice in another pan or bowl. Microwave or cook until the onion is soft. If using spring onions, only saute or microwave for about a minute or so, otherwise they won't taste as great.
  4. Add the rice mix to the egg mix. 
  5. Add extra soy sauce if you'd like and add salt and pepper to taste.
  6. If you are going to put this in a tortilla, put the mixture on the tortilla and roll it up.
  7. Enjoy!
Since I used brown rice, I let the rice soak overnight because I don't have a stovetop, and the rice had to cook for 40-45 minutes on top of the stove anyway. Soaking the rice overnight reduced my cooking time in the microwave to about 15 minutes or so. It could vary depending on the rice you use, and what you do beforehand. I only soaked the brown rice because it takes a while for the water to penetrate the rice. 

As usual, I hope you all get a chance to try this. Maybe this will spice up the normal repertoire of dinners. I had leftovers, but this could be perfect for two people, or perhaps just one really big portion. Best of luck! As always...

Bon appétit! 




No comments:

Post a Comment