About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Dec 23, 2011

Day 2/3 of baking: Chocolate covered pretzels

Day 2 accomplishments: chocolate covered pretzels, mint chocolate chip cookies, peppermint patties, fudge
Day 3 accomplishments: shortbread dough, buckeye PB balls rolled, spritzer cookies, coconut macaroons, 7-layer bars

I have been baking anywhere from 4 -8 hours a day. Am I nuts? Maybe. I wanted to try some stuff and my mom likes to give me random cookies that she wants me to make. Blah. Been a bit crazy. Then again, holidays seem to be busy for everyone! So, since the holiday is nuts and people might not have much time, here is a simple recipe that is quick, easy, and delicious!

Chocolate covered pretzels or potato chips (from Food.com)

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate or 1 cup milk chocolate or 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
  • 16 pretzel rods, pretzel twists, whole-wheat pretzel sticks or 16 rippled potato chips

Optional Decorative Toppers-

  • semi sweet miniature chocolate chip
  • white chocolate miniature chocolate chip
  • candy sprinkles

Instructions:

  1. Put out a strip of wax paper or parchment paper.
  2. Microwave the chocolate and shortening in a microwaveable bowl (uncovered) for 1 minute. Stir. 
  3. Keep cooking in 30 second intervals (stirring each time) until the chocolate is melted. 
  4. Dip the pretzels or potato chips and then roll in decorations (if using sprinkles, just sprinkle them over the chocolate covered item) and then place on the parchment or wax paper. You can use a spatula if you'd like, or a fork to help with the dipping process. Decorate as much or as little as you'd like!
  5. When the pretzels or potato chips have chocolate dry to the touch, then they are ready to be put away.
  6. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. It is best to eat potato chips no later than a few hours after preparation. 
  7. Enjoy!

Simple and fast! I didn't do much to my pretzel rods, but I did add a drizzle of the leftover chocolate and dipped a few in sprinkles. I hope you try this out!

As always...
Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment