About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

May 25, 2012

Making Pie

When it was my dad's birthday, he requested one thing... pie. He asked me to make strawberry rhubarb or blueberry. Apparently our grocery store didn't sell rhubarb (or I couldn't find it since I didn't exactly know what it looked like), but I found some jarred strawberry rhubarb preserves. Since we had two ready-made pie crusts, I also bought a can of blueberry pie filling. I decided to do a crumble topping because I didn't want to have to deal with any fancy designs in the top crust or have to deal with adding the top crust. The crumble topping turned out well and I spruced up the strawberry rhubarb preserves with some fresh sliced strawberries. The outcome? Dad was very happy and enjoyed both pies. As this was my first pie baking experience (other than the frozen and oven ready ones), I would consider this a success! I have included the recipe for the crumble below, just in case you want to try it out on your next pie!




Crumbly Topping

Ingredients:


  • 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking or rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup cold butter
Instructions:
  1. Mix the first three ingredients together.
  2. Cut the butter into small chunks and add it to the other ingredients.
  3. Sprinkle on top of your pie.
  4. Bake the pie.
I followed the pie directions on the pie filling. It turned out well! I hope you try it out! 

Love it? Hate it? Want to make it? Let me know what you think with a comment below!
As always...



Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment