About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

May 18, 2012

Chicken Satay Skewers

I've spent a couple days on this post. Writing bits here and there. Hopefully it all makes sense...

I am considered alumni. I did it. I graduated! Now I am just waiting for my diploma to arrive in the mail... I had a new experience the other day. I cut up my first pineapple. I cannot tell you how much I have missed fresh pineapple. I kept cutting chunks and eating it. I probably ate at least 1/4 of the pineapple as I cut it up. So much better than canned pineapple. Lately canned pineapple is another thing that I can't stand to eat anymore. Perhaps it is a bit sad, but at the same time it will motivate me to buy fresh more often.

Another interesting thing is that I have never cut up a melon by myself. I do not like any kind of melon. I have tried and re-tried them over and over with the same result; I just don't like melon. My dad seemed surprised when he found out I had never cut up a watermelon. Has he not been listening while over the 22 years of my life I have mentioned that I despise melon more than 50 times? Eh... whatever. I guess I will see how that goes. I think I am the only person in this house who doesn't like melon.

Other than that, life is life. Busy with "mom" duties that I've been given. Always interesting. On to the chicken! This chicken is called "chicken on a stick" in our household. 



Chicken Satay Skewers (from Concetta's Cafe blog)


Ingredients:
· 1 cup creamy peanut butter, melted (microwave for 30 seconds or so)
· 1 cup water
· 1/2 cup soy sauce
· 8 garlic cloves, minced
· 6 Tbsp. lemon juice
· 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
· 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
· 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
· 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Instructions:

  1. If you are using skewers, start soaking them in water. They need to soak for 20 minutes so they won't catch on fire! 
  2. Combine all of the ingredients besides the chicken in a saucepan. 
  3. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes.
  4. Cut your chicken into 1 or 1.5 strips.
  5. Thread the chicken strips onto the skewers. Each skewer can have anywhere from 1 - 4 pieces of chicken. Make your best judgement. 
  6. Brush the chicken skewers with the sauce on both sides. Save extra sauce for dipping.
  7. If making inside: Broil for 2 minutes; turn and brush with peanut butter sauce. Continue turning and basting for 4-6 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. 
         If grilling: Grill for a couple minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink on the             
         inside. Brush with extra sauce as you grill if you would like, or just save it for dipping.

Overall, this dish was a hit. My mom said it was perfectly spicy for my brother and sister, but she wanted a little more heat. I thought it was spicy enough for me. My brother liked the chicken, but he ate his with steak sauce, like he does with most of his meat. I will never really understand his usage of ketchup and steak sauce... But definitely try out this recipe for your family if you like spicy peanut noodles. Delish!

We served these skewers with corn on the cob and some rice. 

Love it? Hate it? Want to make it? Let me know what you think with a comment below!
As always...

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment