I have been meaning to post this since, well... January 1st. Twenty four days later I am finally sitting down to type this up. It's sad really. However, last week was my birthday. Another year older and hopefully another year wiser. I still am making decisions about how I want to move forward. I know I definitely want to get my Master's degree... but the path there is a bit foggy. I will figure it all out though, eventually. Job hunting should probably start soon. Anyone have any motivational quotes that could spark my interest in resume writing?
>.< I'm behind, I know... but it is how it goes.
Since my birthday was last week, I wanted to post a recipe for the cake that I baked when we celebrated. This cake was the one I knew would be a hit with everyone and it was quick, so it was the only cake I had. My original plan was to have two cakes... one that I wanted and one that the family would eat, but there wasn't enough time, so only one was baked. I finally baked the cake I wanted to have yesterday, so that post is coming soon!
This cake has a crust on the top, a cakey middle, and is gooey on the bottom. I am not a fan of chocolate cake and I even liked it! Anywho, here is the recipe:
Molten Mocha Cake (from Chow.com)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Equal Exchange cocoa powder), split into 3/4 and 1/4 cup
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (white granulated sugar), split into 1/2 and 1/4 cup
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 TBSP (half a stick) melted butter, cooled slightly
- 1 large egg (I used a medium egg and it was fine)
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and arrange a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Butter/grease an 8 by 8 or 10 by 10 inch square pan. I used the 10 by 10 and adjusted the time a bit.
- Combine flour, 3/4 cup of cocoa, baking powder, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring to break up any lumps.
- Add the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla to the flour mix. Stir until combined. Some lumps will remain.
- Pour the batter into your prepped square pan. Spread the batter out as evenly as possible.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup of cocoa powder, 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Stir until mixed well, then sprinkle over the batter in your pan.
- Pour the coffee over the batter. Do NOT stir.
- Put the cake pan into the oven.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the cake is set at the edges and a bit loose in the middle. Time can vary depending on your oven and the pan you used. Use your best judgement and remember that the cake will set a little more in the middle once it cools.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes before serving.
I hope you test this delicious cake and enjoy! The family sure loved this one. It is definitely a keeper!
Love it? Hate it? Want to make it? Let me know what you think with a comment below!As always...