About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Sep 19, 2012

Homemade Baked Corn Dogs

This week so far... mehhhh. I did find a new song that I enjoy. It is called Gangnam Style by Psy and it has a cool dance to go with it. It is a great upbeat song! 

Currently our oven's bake setting does not work. It will broil and the stove top burners will work, but the bake function will not. It randomly decided to die and the temperature plummeted to 100 F when I was baking my bread. >.< Not cool, oven! I tried to finish the bread in the toaster oven and had bread with a mushy center and a very brown top. I picked out all the mushy parts and ate them since I don't mind doughy goodness. My other loaf of soda bread was much better than loaf number two (when the oven died).

I went shopping at Target today and found activity books for my cousins to be distracted with on Thanksgiving (which will at least keep them out of the kitchen). I spent more than I was hoping to, but that is Target for ya. Haha. 

The recipe I chose to blog about today is something that is easy and quick. Many families keep hot dogs and many of the other ingredients on hand. Only a bit of pre-planning would be required to have everything needed on hand. Definitely an easy meal and perfect for this busy time of year. 

Baked Corn Dogs (from Rachael Ray)

Ingredients:
  • 2 boxes of corn muffin mix, 8.5 oz each
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup), melted
  • chili powder, to taste
  • 2 tsp. cumin, or to taste
  • cayenne pepper sauce, to taste
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped (I used a little bit of dried onion)
  • 8 jumbo pork or beef franks
Instructions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 425 F or 220 C.
  2. In a shallow bowl, combine the muffin mix and flour. Add in the eggs, milk, and melted butter. Mix in the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper sauce, and scallions. (your batter will be quite thick and sticky)
  3. Prep your cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease it.
  4. Set up an assembly line to make the dipping process easier. Put the dish of hot dogs first, then the corn muffin mix, and finish with your cookie sheet. 
  5. Dip the hot dogs into the batter and make sure they are fully covered before transferring to your cookie sheet. Use your fingers to cover any spots that you missed. (1/2 inch or less of coating will be best)
  6. Repeat step 5 until all of the hot dogs are coated and on the cookie sheet. Wash your hands.
  7. Put the corn dogs into the oven for 12 - 15 minutes or until evenly browned.
  8. Let your corn dogs cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!
Rachael Ray suggests serving these with her Sweet Relish Slaw Salad and potato chips. We served the corn dogs with fresh veggies and fruit. Serve this dish with whatever best fits your family.

Love it? Hate it? Want to make it? Let me know what you think with a comment below!
As always...

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment