About Me

My photo
I enjoy cooking,eating food, being creative with food, and like to try new things. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as I can.

Search This Blog

Nov 8, 2011

Quick and Easy Taco Roni

Today was a busy day. It seems that the time change has tired out pretty much the whole campus. My morning professor commented on how dead we all seemed and my night class professor said the whole class looked really tired. Two different classes and both where the professors notice us being exhausted. Yep, it's definitely college. After my first class, the internet kept cutting out and was absolutely obnoxious. I fought it and tried to connect, but it refused. I was angry that I had to go to the computer lab to submit my homework. Frustrating. It is working for now.

My 4 classes of the day went alright overall. I am in a group for a project with a girl that I am not really fond of. Ah well, life throws us curve balls. My planning for the event for fair trade is coming along well. I am crossing my fingers that everything comes in on time, or I will be in trouble. I haven't had a lot of homework, persay, just a lot of reading and projects. It's evident that the end of the semester is creeping closer, and some professors are freaking out. My Thanksgiving break is looking ok so far, but there is the potential for homework over break still. Doesn't make it much of a break if I have oodles of work to do, huh? Alas, the woes of a college student.

So, I have a quick, cheap, and tasty recipe today. It has 4 types of canned goods, 1 spice, and a few extra yummies. If you are short on time and need a go to recipe, I highly recommend this!

Taco Roni (adapted from Mommy Hates Cooking)

Ingredients:

  • 2- 15oz cans of Chef Boyardee Beefaroni
  • 1- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (you can drain if the liquid is watery, but since the liquid was thicker in my tomatoes, I added it!)
  • 1- 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1- 15 oz (or so) can of corn
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin (you can add another 1/2 tsp. if you'd like... I just thought it was a bit too strong)
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 lb of cooked ground beef (optional) **I used chicken chunks and it tasted yummy!**
  • broken up tortilla chips, to sprinkle on top
  • shredded cheese, to sprinkle on top
Instructions:
  1. Place Beefaroni, tomatoes, beans, corn, cumin, and ground beef (if you are using it) in large saucepan; stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.*
  2. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and broken chips just before serving.
  3. Serve and enjoy!
*You can also make this in the microwave. Combine all the ingredients in a microwaveable dish and heat until heated through. Mine took about 4 minutes on high, but it depends on your microwave and what dish you use. Make sure to serve out the portions before adding the chips and cheese!

I hope that this looks yummy to you! It's really easy and includes ingredients that many people keep in their pantry! 

UPDATE: I tried it with ground beef and I thought it was ok. My personal preference is the chicken. 

Let me know if you try it out! As always...

Bon appétit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment